Social Icons

rss feedemail

Monday, January 14, 2013

Emily Bronte.




Emily Jane Bronte, daughter of Patrick Bronte, a clergyman, and Maria Branwell, the daughter of a merchant, was born on July 30, 1818. Emily was born in a small village called Haworth located in Yorkshire.

When Emily was three her mother died of cancer and Emily's aunt, Elizabeth Branwell, came and lived with them to take care of the children. In 1824 Mr. Bronte sent four of his daughters; Elizabeth, Maria, Charlotte, and Emily to boarding school. Most of the time when they were at their school they were cold and undernourished. When Maria and Elizabeth contracted tuberculosis and died, Mr. Bronte became very worried and brought Charlotte and Emily home. As they grew up the Bronte's always had an amazing imagination. Charlotte, Emily, Anne, and Branwell would use wooden toys and make up stories that happened in imaginary kingdoms.

During the 1830's the children left home to study or work. Though, most of their attempts were unsuccessful. Emily was very depressed all the time. It was not until the mid-1840's, when she returned back to Haworth, did Emily become relatively happy. After they had all returned Emily, Charlotte, and Anne, whom all had been interested in writing for most of their life, decided to write and publish a collection of poems. They published their book under the names Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell, to conceal the fact that they were actually women. Although, when it was finally published the book only sold 2 copies.

After this they resorted to writing fiction. Charlotte wrote the novel Jane Eyre, an immediate success, and Emily wrote her book Wuthering Heights, which came out to very negative reviews. People called the book “misshapen”, “grotesque”, and “shocking”. Even Charlotte said that it was very strange.

Later, as we all know, the book became more popular, but not before Emily died of tuberculosis on December 14, 1848, but now Emily Bronte is remembered just as much as her popular and classic book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Trinity Academy

Trinity Academy is the name of my school, we got to name it ourselves since I am homeschooled. I like homeschooling a lot and I am excited this year because my cousins are being homeschooled too! Come back and see what I doing.(:




Taylor@Trinity Photography

I really like taking pictures and I have a really good opportunity to learn how to take good pictures and really learn how to use the camera because I am homeschooled. I hope you like them!(:

Trinity Farm

About two years ago my dad decided that he wanted to start a little farm. Our farm started out with three cows and has now progressed to 10 beef cows, a milk cow, and 15 chickens. The only animals out of all of these that are mine are two of the chickens, their names are Omelet and Eleanor. I will put some pictures of our animals and tell you if we get anymore! Make sure you stay updated.

Just Taylor

There's a lot that I could tell you about me and you can read a lot of it in my About Me bio. Just a little bit though, is that I am thirteen, homeshooled, and I live on a farm(: Stay tuned and you will get to see what's going on in my life.